Monday 21 June 2010

Variations Round a Theme

When my daughter Emily saw the asterisk blocks, she though they looked like her Daisiez quilt. This was one of Emily's first quilts. We used a pattern by the Australian designer, Jan Mullen. She makes wonderful wonky quilt patternz (that all end in Z; boatz, tea cupz, catz ...) It was a great first quilt to sew because the seam allowances didn't need to be even. I cut and Emily sewed the daisiez blocks. I pieced it all together and Emily free-motion machine quilted it on the SuperQuilter frame.

It turned out really sweet.We sent it to the Festival of Quilts as a mother daughter entry in the two person quilts category. It was a dear homely little quilt and we didn't expect to place, but we did hover and hear nice things that people said.The astericks block is less complicated yet the block construction is similar. Whenever I see this daisiez block it makes me think of a deconstructed Dresden Plate block. I love how the sun shining through the top makes it look like a stained glass window.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think this quilt is darling! I love the colors and wonky way it is put together. Very nice.

Kimm and the Kimmlets said...

OH My goodness, your daughter can do something I want to so badly. It sounds like she has a great teacher.