Wednesday 8 December 2010

Gingerbread Stripy

I'm calling this a Gingerbread Stripy, because the brown with the red and green reminds me of the gingerbread Christmas cookies that my Nana used to make.
I love buying Christmas fabric! But I don't always manage to do something with it before Christmas. I pieced this stripy top years ago but this year, the snow days last week gave me the time I needed to quilt it.
Stripy quilts are a great opportunity to use up Christmas fabric. They're good for practising machine quilting too . I like to do a different stitch in each stripe and play with different threads as well.
I used a super soft red minky fabric for the backing. Although I often use fleece, this was the first time I tried this thinner minky as a backing. It worked well. I'll be using it in other projects!

I've used this post to introduce the Gingerbread Stripy Quilt. I'll spend a bit of time going into detail, stripe by stripe, in the next few posts. Meanwhile, clicking on the images will give you a better view of the stitching

I've struggled to get a photo of the whole quilt that is true to the colours. The smaller individual stripe details are better, but this one gives you 5 of the 7 stripes and a sense of how it all came together.

No comments: