Friday 1 August 2014

Sally's Quilt

Sally at the Salisbury Machine Quilting  Retreat Day

I met Sally at the Franklins shop in Salisbury this Spring.

Emma and I were demonstrating our New English Quilter frames for a 'Love Quilting' event.

Sally'd come to pick up some fabric and threads. As she was hurrying out the door, Sally noticed our New English Quilter frames and did a double take. 


"Oh," she said.  "What a good idea!" "I was just going to pay someone to quilt my tops for me." Maybe, I should do it myself."

Sally was in a hurry but she said that she's come back the next day. And she did.
Salisbury Franklins 'LOVE Quilting Event'











Sally bought the 10 foot 7 inch New English Quilter II frame and the JUKI TL98P lockstitch sewing machine.

 She purchased the Nifty Grip speed control handles so she wouldn't need to kick the foot pedal across the floor 

and a table with legs customized to create a working surface that is just the perfect height for Sally to quilt comfortably.  

The Retreat gave Sally the confidence she needed to get started. So when Sally's 10 foot NEQ2 frame arrived she was ready to roll!

Martha and Sally Free-motion quilting on the NEQ frameEmma and I were hosting a Machine Quilter Day Retreat and Sally came to that too. 
 "Had a great afternoon working on my quilt. For my first attempt, I have chosen one that is all about the fabric, so the quilting can disappear into the patterns and any mistakes will easily blend into the background. I really enjoyed it once I had stopped feeling nervous.
Sally's quilt on the NEW frame! She's using 'Citrus Cooler' from Superior Threads
"I am delighted to stay that I will be able to fit the huge frame into my new house, even though it will mean that  the teenagers have rather less space! Am planning a trip to Birmingham, so look forward to seeing you there."
scalloped mussel shell machine quilting detail, on the NEQ2 frame
Sally chose a variegated thread called Citrus Cooler from Superior Threads' Rainbows range for her first quilt in the frame. The variegated thread blended right in to the multi-coloured quilt, creating great texture without calling too much attention to itself.  What a fantastic first project! Sally chose a 'busy' top that gave her freedom to try out new patterns and get to know her new quilting frame and Juki TL98P sewing machine. The variegated thread and the scalloped mussel shell quilting pattern created gorgeous texture and hid any mistakes. Well done Sally. I hope you'll bring the quilt to Birmingham with you!

Sally's Quilt all finished - 'both sides now'

No comments: